Last updated on September 15th, 2023 at 03:27 am
If you’re looking for the best bean bag filler, we will show you our favorites and some that we don’t own but have researched/reviewd extensively.
Bean bags are a popular choice for home furnishings, and a few different materials can be used to fill them.
We’ll discuss five of the most popular Bean bag stuffing choices, so you can decide which is best for you. Each of our picks will offer comfort, affordability, and long-term durability plus, you can buy a bulk bean bag filler to continue refilling over the years.
Best Bean Bag Filler (Our Top 5 Picks)
- Best Overall – Coymos Shredded Memory Foam Filling
- Made in USA – Posh Creations Shredded Memory Foam Blend
- Cheapest – Big Joe Bean Bag Refill (Best Polystyrene Beads)
- Decent Option – Molblly Bean Bag Foam
- Affordable – ACEssentials Bean Bag Replacement Pellets
Coymos Shredded Memory Foam Filling
The Coymos Shredded Memory Foam is a 100% mattress-grade memory foam refill for bean bag chairs (not a blend like others) and is our top pick overall.
Top Bean Bag Chair Filler
Out of the products we’ve researched and tested, this was the best quality Memory Foam and gave the best results when filling a bean bag.
However, unlike the Posh Creations foam (coming up next) it isn’t CertiPUR-US certified as it isn’t made in the US. It is, however, made to the same standards.
- 100% mattress grade memory foam Bean Bag Fill.
- They state that no sensitizing or volatile, irritating substances for health and safety.
- Built in gel particles prevent overheating – good for people who sweat a lot or feel hot while sleeping
- Easier to use than polystyrene beads (you don’t get little pellets flying all over the place!)
- The foam is not certified like our next pick
- It’s expensive. It’s best to use shredded memory foam refill for filling smaller projects like pillows, toys, dog beds etc. Or use it for topping up a bean bag chair to give it a bit more volume. If you were to take an empty bean bag cover and fill with this you would need A LOT.
Posh Creations Shredded Memory Foam Refill
Runner Up Bean Bag Chair Filler
The Posh Creations Shredded Memory foam refill for bean bag chairs is another top pick (for foam filled bean bags).
Pos Bean Bag Chair Filler is available in different pack sizes, it’s compressed for shipping and expands when the packaging is removed and the foam is fluffed. This CertiPUR-US certified foam, has been tested, analyzed, and found to be safe and not containing chemicals that could be unsafe for health.
- Made in the USA
- Meets CertiPUR-US standards
- Doesn’t contain fire retardent chemicals
- Durable enough to last a lifetime in your bean bag (or pet bed)
- Can be used to fill bean bags, soft toys, cushions, pillows and for all sorts of art and crafts projects.
- It’s more expensive than polystyrene beads
- It’s a memory foam “blend” which means it’s not all memory foam – there are probably a few different types of foam in it. It is furniture grade though.
Cheapest bean bag filler
Big Joe has the cheapest bean bag filling option on the market. All beans go dull but with the proper dose of devotion and attention, you’re sure to deliver your cheap bag of beans refill pack is there to give it a greatly-needed amount of plumpness. Their refill pack contains 100 liter (3.5 cu. ft.) of polystyrene beans.
My top pic for a cheap bean bag fill is Big Joe as they are a reputable brand and have great bean bags, I’m glad that they created their own stuffing as its hard to trust any other brands offshore.
Big Joe Bean Bag Refill – Best EPS Beads
The Big Joe bean bag refill is one of the top-selling bean bag refills today. It’s cheaper, longer-lasting than some competitors, and has many different uses (not just for filling a bean bag).
Our recommended purchase is the 100-liter 2 pack which should be enough to top up most bean bags. Each bag contains 100 liters of 100% virgin polystyrene beans.
EPS Filler Pros
- They’re super cheap
- These polystyrene beans are recyclable
- The Big Joe refill is not just for reviving your bean bag chair. It can be used as packing material, for arts and crafts and lots more.
EPS Filler Cons
- You’ll often have to buy replacement beads (at least every 3-6 months). The beads don’t stay fluffy and voluminous for long. There is a 60 day guarantee that the filling won’t go flat with normal use, which isn’t very long.
- Filling any chair with EPS beads is messy, annoying and time-consuming if you don’t do it right. EPS bean bag filler is a 2 person job, and is not as simple as it looks. Read customer reviews on Amazon for tips or scroll down to watch the video below that shows how to fill the bag without making a mess.
Why I like the Big Joe chairs refill
I like the Big Joe bean bag filler because polystyrene beans are surprisingly budget-friendly and recyclable, making them perfect for a range of activities like reviving my bean bag chair, packing material, arts and crafts, and more!
Molblly Bean Bag Filler Foam
This is another good quality shredded foam product with plenty of positive customer reviews. Made in China but meeting US standards, this foam is perfect for filling bean bags, pillows, dog beds, soft toys and more. Adding gel particles to keep you cool will help you or your pet get a night of quality sleep. Available in a number of different size bags, each 5lbs will expand to approximately 2.5 cubic feet.
- Mattress grade memory foam
- Contains no flame retardants or allergens
- Added gel particles help to improve sleep quality (prevents overheating)
- Vacuum packed for convenient delivery. Make sure to put it into an enclosed space after removing it from the packaging e.g. a trash bag as it will expand significantly.
- Keeps its shape longer than polystyrene beads
- Like all the foam fillers we’ve mentioned, it can get quite expensive if you’re filling a large space. Perfect for topping up a bean bag chair or smaller projects though.
This is a nice affordable bag of polystyrene bean bag pellets to revive your dying bean bag! Like with all polystyrene beans though, they are very clingy, staticky and can cause a huge mess if you’re not careful when filling your bean bag. For the price, they’re great to give a bean-filled bean bag a boost. The bag is 100 litres in size (which is about 3.5 cubic feet).
- They’re cheap
- Can be used to fill any brand of bean bag chair
- Use them to refill bean bags, chairs, loungers, ottomans and more
- Made with high quality Grade A poly material for smaller, denser beans that are more durable and last longer
- A lot of the negative reviews on Amazon talk about static electricity problems and having problems trying to get the beads into the bag. This is a common issue with EPS beads (you have to funnel them in using a cardboard roll or something similar). Some people suggest using Static Guard on the opening of the bean bag and spray inside the bag before you fill.
Why would you need to buy bean bag filler?
To add some density to your bean bag chair
Bean bag chairs are great for lounging around and watching TV or reading a book. They’re typically very comfortable, but they can be made even comfier by adding additional filler. Sometimes you just want to add a bit extra to make the bean bag the exact density you want. Some people like theirs soft but you might prefer a bit more firmness and support.
To top up a flat bean bag
In time and with regular use, most bean bags tend to lose some of their density and can go a bit flat. If you’re feeling a little closer to the ground than you used to be, it might be time for a bean bag refill! Top up your bag with some extra bean bag filler and you’ll restore your bean bag to its former glory.
When making your own bean bag
Maybe you’re a bit crafty and decided to make your own bean bag? If you have the skills you can easily sew a bean bag cover using a pattern found online, but afterward, you’ve got to fill it with something! Our options here on this page are some of the best bean bag filler products available.
When buying a bean bag cover and filling separately
Alternatively, you can buy empty bean bag covers and fill the bean bag yourself. You might find this a slightly cheaper option than choosing one of the best bean bag chairs (they can be quite expensive). Do your research though because depending on the size of the bean bag cover, it might not save you as much money as you think! For instance, if you want a giant 7 foot bean bag chair, it’s actually cheaper to buy a prefilled chair rather than filling one yourself.
What are bean bags filled with
Ok so here are some examples of the materials that bean bags are filled with, Im not quite sure about the bag of sand or plastic resin pellets, however, that’s the truth, and some folks like it that way…Just not for me.
List of what bean bags are filled with:
- Polystyrene Beads
- Foam Pellets
- Durafoam or Memory Foam
- Polyfill Fiber
- Birdseed or Rice
- Corn Kernels
- Plastic Resin Pellets or balls
- Steel Shot or Sand
Most popular bean bag fillers
The following are two of the best options for bean bag filling.
Memory Foam Bean Bag Filler
If you’re looking for a bean bag filler that offers the most luxurious feeling, try shredded memory foam. These tiny pieces of foam are ideal for creating a comfort level that simulates sitting on clouds.
Memory foam is ideal for bean bag chairs because the bits of foam all move together and mold around your body shape. This provides great support while also being incredibly soft and comfortable.
Foam filler for bean bags also traps heat really well which is great if you live in a colder area of the country. It will keep you warm in the winter and cool in the summer. Memory foam bean bag filler is the most popular option for comfy bean bag chairs, but is also the most expensive!
- Memory foam bean bag filler offers superior comfort, contouring to the shape of your body for a customized fit.
- Memory foam is denser than other fillers, providing more support and preventing premature flattening.
- Memory foam fill does not require regular fluffing like other types of fillings, making maintenance much easier.
- Memory foam bean bag filler is hypoallergenic and dust mite-resistant, making it safe for people with allergies or breathing issues.
- Memory foam bean bag filler is extremely durable and long-lasting, allowing you to refill your bean bag chair less often than other fillings.
What is Memory Foam Bean Bag Filler?
Transform your seating into a luxurious experience with memory foam bean bag filler! This special type of polyurethane foam is designed to contour around the body and provide unparalleled comfort. For an extra dose of coziness, opt for shredded memory foam – perfect for filling up any bean bags or cushions without compromising on quality.
Benefits of Memory Foam Bean Bag Filler
- Comfort: Memory foam bean bag filler conforms to the shape of your body, providing superior comfort and support.
- Durability: Memory foam bean bag filler is more durable than traditional bean bag fillers, such as polystyrene beads or shredded foam.
- Environmentally friendly: Memory foam bean bag filler is made from recycled materials and is environmentally friendly.
- Hypoallergenic: Memory foam bean bag filler is hypoallergenic and resistant to dust mites, making it a great choice for those with allergies.
Drawbacks of Memory Foam Bean Bag Filler
- Cost: Memory foam bean bag filler is more expensive than traditional bean bag fillers.
- Weight: Memory foam bean bag filler is heavier than traditional bean bag fillers, which can make it difficult to move around.
- Firmness: Some people may find memory foam bean bag filler too firm for their liking.
How to Choose the Best Memory Foam Bean Bag Filler
When choosing a memory foam bean bag filler, there are a few factors to consider:
The memory foam density will affect the bean bag’s firmness. Higher-density foam will be firmer, while lower-density foam will be softer.
The size of the memory foam pieces will affect how the bean bag conforms to your body. Smaller pieces will provide a smoother, more consistent seating experience, while larger pieces may be lumpy or uneven.
The quality of the memory foam will affect how long it lasts and how comfortable it is. Look for high-quality, premium memory foam for the best results.
How to Replace Bean Bag Filler with Memory Foam
To replace your bean bag filler with memory foam, you will need:
- Memory foam filler
- Bean bag cover
- Cut open the bean bag cover and remove the old filler.
- Cut the memory foam into small pieces using scissors.
- Fill the bean bag cover with the memory foam pieces using a funnel.
- Zip up the bean bag cover and enjoy your new, comfortable seating experience.
Polystyrene Beans (EPP beads)
Another popular non toxic bean bag filler is polystyrene beans or beads. This is typically the cheaper option and is popular for smaller bean bags, kids bean bags etc.
Virgin expanded polystyrene beans have been used for decades to fill up bean bags because they’re safe, lightweight, inexpensive and plentiful.
Polystyrene is a non-biodegradable material and cannot be recycled, and some people worry that it might not be good for the environment. However, this isn’t really a problem with bean bags as these are usually a long-term fixture in your home. They retain their form for years but eventually break down naturally and you just refill your bean bag when necessary.
Polystyrene beads compress when you sit on them offering a more supportive seat than foam. This is perfect for those who prefer to sit upright for reading, gaming or watching TV.
Things to consider when buying beanbag filler
Whether you’re looking at memory foam filler or polystyrene beads, both can be very comfortable. They are slightly different in how they feel though. Memory foam is mostly used in large, luxurious (and expensive) bean bag chairs. Lovesac, Yogibo and Ultimate Sack all contain shredded foam. These are soft, cosy chairs that you can sink into and relax after a long day.
Polystyrene beads offer a firmer, more supportive seat. They’re still super comfortable and the beads shift to enable you to sit in whatever position you want. Brands such as Big Joe offer numerous different types of EPS bead bean bags in all shapes and sizes for a very affordable price. The Moon Pod is a bit more expensive but is a good option for sitting watching TV, working on your laptop, or for anyone who needs an orthopedic bean bag chair.
Both memory foam and EPS beads are durable and will last a long time. A good quality bean bag should last a lifetime, but the filling may need to be replaced or topped up.
EPS beads will flatten over time as they become compressed each time you sit down. Eventually your bean bag will become flatter and less comfortable. This can be fixed by removing the filling and refilling your bag, or just by adding more EPS beads.
Memory foam tends to hold its shape for longer, but you may need to top up the foam to increase the volume or firmness of the seat after a few years of usage.
As we’ve already mentioned, eventually any bean bag will lose some of its density and start to flatten. To maintain your bean bag, you will need to refill with beanbag filler as time goes on. Depending on how often you use it, this could be within months, or it might be years before you need to top it up.
The most affordable option is to use EPS beads (polystyrene bean bag refill beads) which can cost as little as 20 cent per litre. A 100 litre bag is more than enough to rejuvenate any flagging bean bag chair.
Shredded memory foam is more expensive and can cost around $2-$5 per pound. Filling a cover from scratch with memory foam (particularly if it’s a 200lb+ bean bag chair) will definitely put a dent in your pocket!
How to Fill a Bean Bag
As you can see, there is an art to filling a bean bag chair, and it’s definitely a 2 person job! If you’ve ever spilled polystyrene beads you’ll know that they’re very difficult to clean up and they stick to everything, so make sure you do this carefully.
Refill for bean bag Stuffing
It’s no secret that bean bag chairs are a popular choice for comfortable lounging, but if you want the ultimate comfort experience, try adding some high quality filler to your chair.
Whether you’re just topping up an existing bean bag, or filling an empty bean bag cover from scratch, our top picks will help you find the right bean bag stuffing for comfort and durability.
If you want a shredded memory foam filler, the ultimate in luxury and comfort, we recommend the Posh Creations Foam Filling Bean Bag Refill available on Amazon.
For a cheaper stuffing option, take a look at virgin polystyrene beads.
The Big Joe Bean Bag Refill is a popular and affordable filler that isn’t just for Big Joe bean bags. Use it to fill any bean bag chair, or even for packing boxes or other craft projects.
FAQ For Bean Bag Filler
The best 7ft bean bag filler would be Coymos Shredded Memory Foam Filling, this is our Top Pick overall. 75ft³(cubic ft) is what you need to start to get it packed.
Where to buy bean bag filler
One of the easiest places to purchase bean bag filler is on Amazon.com
How much bean bag filler do I need?
If you are adding some extra filler to an EPS bead bean bag that has gone flat, it is commonly advised to add 100 liters of filler per year of usage.
When adding shredded memory foam to a foam-filled bean bag 5 lbs of foam will expand to fill a volume of approximately 2 cubic feet.
Are bean bag beans toxic?
No, expanded polystyrene beads do not cause health risks to people, animals, or plants. EPS beads are non-toxic.
How to fill a bean bag
To fill a bean bag It’s easy to fill a bean bag with shredded foam – just stuff in the foam and zip it up. Polystyrene can be a bit trickier! See how it’s done here (without making a mess)
What is the cheapest way to fill a bean bag chair?
The chapest way to fill a bean bag is by purchasing pillow filler at craftwork shops, on the frugal in extensive quantities.
- Nectar vs Leesa – A Comprehensive Comparison of Two Popular Mattress Brands - January 27, 2024
- Nectar vs Casper vs Purple: A Comparison of Comfort and Value - January 27, 2024
- Nectar vs Helix: Comparing Sleep Quality, Comfort, and Customer Satisfaction - January 26, 2024